Friday, November 5, 2010

Daddy is with the Angels now

My daddy is gone....he left around 5am on Thursday morning. We were all there, but sleeping. Ya see...Dad made one thing VERY clear...once he was gone, he didn't want anyone in the room staring, he didn't want a viewing, he wanted to be cremated as soon as possible. He said his body was just a shell and he would be set free once he had taken that last breath. So all day as we waited for him to take that last breath, he held on. We kept saying daddy let go, its okay. My cousin Theresa and I couldn't sleep...we spent the night cleaning my moms house, sitting outside chain smoking, (yes, i started again), and drinking wine coolers. Took some Xanax to calm down us down and nothing...my brother went to Denny's with his minister and finally came home around 3:30ish. So at 3:45am, I took dad's vitals one more time, gave him 0.5 morphine and 2 drops of atropine, kissed him, and said good night. My bro checked on him at 4:15 and he was still the same.
My mom had been sleeping on the floor below the hospital bed for two weeks, always holding dads hand. She said at 5:03, she felt his hand let go. She woke up, and he was gone. No breathing. Very peaceful. She woke us up and told us. I quickly ran in there and sure enough, Daddy was gone. I left shortly after, just as he wanted.
Just like that. It was over. Dad was gone. But it wasn't really just like that. He had been diagnosed almost a year ago. Glioblastoma...brain cancer...no cure...They expected him to live 3-6 months. Well..he said fuck those doctors and showed them. Ok, he really didn't said fuck those doctors...he didn't cuss. But that is what me and mom said. He fought to the very end.
Many of you have given me support since the very beginning. I can not tell you THANK YOU ENOUGH. I have cried, whined, cried, yelled, screamed,ect thru you all. and always, you have been here. I thank you so much for that. I have amazing friends and family. I will never forget it!! I love you all!! Rest in peace daddy, you were loved by everyone!

5 comments:

  1. When he was born He cried & the world rejoiced.
    Thursday He rejoiced & the world cried.

    Prayers to you & your family!
    Kelly Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he laid down to sleep,
    Two Angels come. their watch to keep,
    Cover him up. safely and warm,
    Tenderly shield him from all harm.
    But when he did not wake at dawn of day,
    The two Angels had taken him away
    From their work of care and love
    God Himself will keep your Dad above

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks James, that is truly beautiful

    ReplyDelete