Sunday, December 19, 2010

This can't be happening....

So as my mom, my dear sweet mom, is recovering in the hospital from a heart attack, she has been undergoing some test.  First, her potassium came back low, really low. That kind of alarmed me. Then last night when I was visiting they told her an endrocrinologist would be coming in at a later time. Alarm number two for me. So on my way home, my brain went into overdrive and I couldn't stop using what I've learned in nursing school to try to figure out what in the hell could be going on. Then it clicked....something is wrong with her endocrine system.  Your endocrine system is basically all your glands in your body...your thyroid, adrenal, and pituitary. The adrenal gland in particular can cause your epinephrine and norepinephrine to be out of whack, as well as other hormones. It can also throw your potassium off. An increase in epi can obviously cause problems such as heart attacks.
Last night, I told my husband I think my mom has a tumor. No shit. I told him that.
Today my mom calls me and says this (in a tone like its no big deal, cause that is just how she is) Well, they found a tumor on my adrenal gland and they are going to call in an oncologist.
WTFuckingFUCK mom? NO WAY! She says yes way. I say no way. She again says yes way.

So that is the update. My uncle told me to think positive. Yes, adrenal cancer is rare, but my mother is already showing signs. I am in shock. Don't really know what to think or say. It is really hard for me to think positive with all that has happened. All I know is I can't lose my mom. Not now. Not like this. NOT FUCKING NOW!
So that's it. All I can say is wow. wow. wow. WHY? WHY? WHY?
Thanks for all of your kindness and support, I can't say it enough. I love you all, mucho galore! I'm just a little numb.....
Rach

5 comments:

  1. Rachel, my thoughts & prayers are with you, Mom & the whole family. I'm stunned, so I can only imagine how you're feeling right now. Please be safe & take care, especially when you're driving. All my best goes with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel. I'm sad for you and mom. So much going on, and now this. I wish you both patience and strength to battle her illness. *gentle hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for what you are going through now. I can feel your pain because I have gone through this in the last 7 years. I read "Broken Heart" and "This Can't Be Happening". You have experienced both highs and lows between the posts.I will continue to keep you, your MOM and your family in my prayers. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I waited a few minutes to say something, to comment to you and all that I can say is what I so say when there is nothing to say to someone in a tough, difficult place.

    Godspeed to your mom, you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much. I have been doing some soul searching, reaching deep inside...I am so grateful for what I do have, my family, my friends, ect. A friend said not to focus on the why but look at the because. That brought me to a place and I don't feel so down anymore. I'm sure the fact that Mom is doing better helps too. But I realize I am in charge of my happiness or my sadness, whichever I choose. I am going to choose to be happy....or at least try....Trying not to let the negativity get to me, which I can easily do.
    Thank you all for your sweet comments and support...I can't say it enough, it really helps!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete